Sunday, July 21, 2013

Free Flipped Lesson Logs

I have loved your feedback and questions in regards to flipped classrooms.  Keep them coming!  :)    One of the most asked questions is about how to hold students accountable for homework assignments.

Unfortunately, flipped homework is just like any other homework assignment.  If they aren't going to do their regular homework, they most likely will not initially do their flipped homework.  However, I did find that as the year progressed, all of my children did their flipped homework and their regular homework as well.  I think this comes from feeling successful.   Think about it...why do children not do homework?   Most of the time, it comes out of not having time or not understanding what they are doing.   With flipped homework, children don't have to understand concepts immediately. (I know...crazy thought) :)   It's nice if they do, BUT for those kiddos that don't, you are just front-loading the next day's lesson and repeating how many times they are exposed to a concept.  For those that get it from the video, the next day is all about extending and going deeper. That is why this works so well!    And the bonus...for the kids that don't usually do homework because they don't understand, by they time they have paper pencil homework to do, they get it and feel successful!  They start to understand the importance of doing the flip video and how it helps them to understand concepts easily.  :)

But how do I know they did or didn't do it?   I've created a flipped homework log that they must fill out as they watch their video.   Your freebie for reading my blog today!  :)   Just click on the link below.   Edit it and use it as you see fit in your class.    These logs go into their math folder and become  reference material should they need them later.

Flipped Log

So how does this all work?   I have included a video that I created so that you can see how my log goes with my videos.  It's important though that you make it your own and do what works best for your classroom.   The video was created using the Knowmia Teach app (see previous post and future posts to come).    Please know up front that I know I make mistakes and there may be some in the video.  The kids LOVE to find these and correct me.  I am not perfect and that is the beauty of this concept...reflecting on your teaching helps make you better.   Remember these videos are designed for third graders.  :)


The big question of the day, what do you do with the children that don't do homework?   This is a decision you will need to make based on your classroom policy.   In my opinion, they need the homework if it is going to be the lesson of the day.   I handle this two ways.   I try to make time in the morning for the child to watch the video and complete their log before math time.  However, I have found the best way to handle this is instead of math centers where they get to play review games and collaborate with their peers, they go to the computer lab and watch the video.  (If I can't do center time, I do some other "fun" time).  They really don't like missing out on center time and being with their friends.  They also have to be in my group for the day that doesn't usually grasp the concept quickly.  My reasoning behind this is that it is my job to deliver the curriculum.  If they aren't going to do it for homework, then they need to do it in groups with me.  After a few times of missing the fun stuff, they tend to start doing homework so they can feel caught up with the others.

Hope this helps!   I'd love your comments, questions, or suggestions!

No comments :

Post a Comment