Friday, July 5, 2013

How to Flip Your Classroom - Part 4 and Beyond

Thank you to those of you who have read and commented on my previous posts or sent emails.    I am by no means an expert in this concept, just very passionate about it.  This will be my last post in this series.  Why you ask?   Mostly because this is the point I am at in my learning of flipped classrooms and am now depending on you all to help me out.  :) 

Making videos while learning the common core and finishing up grad school was about all I could do last year.  I forgot the three boys and a husband I also tried to keep up with.  :)     I attempted the differentiation of in-class time but I know it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.   The heart of a flipped classroom lies in the collaborative, hands-on, differentiated real-world problem-based learning that is happening in the classroom during the school day.   You will find that when you flip your classroom, you really do have a lot more time to do these kinds of things.

Now on to the fun part...planning and designing instruction! 

This summer I have been working diligently to unpack each of the math common core standards.  I've been really looking at what each standard looks like and what differentiated learning looks like at each standard.   I have a storm cloud of ideas going on in my head about what my math block will look like next year and I get more excited each day.  (More on these to come...)   I am finding some really great resources to use to incorporate the real-world problem-based learning I wasn't able to wrap my head around last year.    I've even found time to create some of my own.   I can't wait!!  :) 

I know you keep asking yourself....really you had extra time???   Yes!  :)     On Mondays, I would use this as an assessment day. Assessments don't take forever so we would have lots of extra time to do review games etc. to keep skills sharp.   I would do this because I would not start a new lesson on Monday.  Instead I would flip a video on Monday night for Tuesday's lesson.   So right there was an extra hour of math.   This upcoming school year I will be implementing Monday as a STEM integration or PBL day instead of keeping skills sharp games (those will come in review centers).    There is no set day on when to flip.  I selected to flip on Monday and Wednesday just because it kept my younger ones on a schedule. Parents also liked the consistent schedule and there was no guess work in what homework was for the night.  Tuesday's math class would start with a quick discussion about the video, questions, etc.  I would do a quick assessment either informally or formally.  My kids really loved our SENTEO clicker system.  These came in really handy for quick assessments and gave me great data!  Tuesday would be a day for me to pull in the children that didn't fully grasp the concept. But for the kids that did...they started working on differentiated or extension activities.  I would also meet with these children in groups to facilitate their critical thinking and problem solving skills.   Wednesday would be one more day for me to grab the kiddos that needed support (and this group of children was typically smaller by this third day).  I would flip again on Wednesday night, repeating on Thursday and Friday pulling small groups based on assessments etc.    On Monday I would give a formal assessment and then start the cycle over again.  The data on Monday would be used to design my intervention groups or focus for RtI groups that week.    What do you think...can you see where you would find some extra time during your math time to really take students deep into learning?    The kids really become the collaborators where you become the facilitator and catch them when they begin to form misconceptions in their learning.

As you can see this type of instruction is fully data driven.  It also takes a lot of time to create the enrichment/extension lessons, remediation lessons, assessments, SENTEO lessons, and videos.  This is partially why I stated earlier, flipping a classroom takes more than a full year to be really effective.  HOWEVER, you will see benefits very early on!   I promise!    I am at the point where I have the video library and assessments handled and can now focus on differentiating and extending learning during the school day.  Hopefully by summer's end I will have a great plan of attack.  And to think....this is only one subject area.   :)  Next year, I am planning on taking on some ELA standards as well.

I'd love to hear your feedback.  Are any of you ready to try a flip?   What other information, suggestions, or resources can I offer?    

P.S.   I promise my future blogs won't be this long.   I just had so much to get out.  :)   

7 comments :

  1. I am in love with your flipped classroom posts! This is something I have wanted to do for a while. You've inspired me to jump in. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure on this. Do you ever have students go home and not watch the videos? What do you do when that happens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela,
      I am so excited for you!!!! You will soon see how beneficial flipping can be. Please share with me along the way.

      In the beginning you will have children that don't watch or have technical difficulties. I set up the expectation right away that technical difficulties don't happen every night and are rare happenings. In my class there are consequences for not doing homework which is why I only allow so many technical difficulties. :). Either way those students still need the instruction. If you can work out a time before math for them to hook up to a computer or iPad it will help. If not , I had mine do theirs during center time. So instead of playing games with friends, they had to work alone watching their video. After "missing out" on some of this they will want to do their homework of watching. :). . I have a flipped log that they fill out while they are watching. I will post this in one of my next posts once I update it. This helps me monitor if they really watched or not.

      I can't wait to hear about your adventures! Let me know what I can do to help along the way.

      Jennifer. :)

      Delete
  2. I am an Instructional Technology teacher at the college level. I tried to flip my class. My students loved it. However, my data of my traditional face to face students (my control group) vs. both my online group and flipped group showed that my F2F students performed much better. On the last class my flipped students admitted to not watching all of the videos or watching them while doing other things. Did you compare any of your data from your flipped experiences to your F2F experiences? If so, what differences did you find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      I'm so glad to hear that your students enjoyed the flip. I am in a bit of a different situation since my children are still elementary age. I created a blended learning situation where my students still get face to face time. Instruction face to face became very differentiated while independent groups became very collaborative. My flipped data verses traditional instruction was very solid. I had a little girl miss 2 weeks of school due to surgery. She watched videos and completed some additional practice. The day she returned to school we had a unit test. I had her take it for fun just to see. She scored t100% and just had video instruction. :)

      When you flipped did you just use videos to deliver instruction or did you deliver instruction through a video and then still keep your face to face time for collaboration? I just finished my Mastsr's through online instruction. This can be challenging! We used collaborative workspaces like piazza to share things. I wouldn't recommend this for young children but for high school and above it could easily be done. I could see your face time being a great time to look deeper into your content or work collaboratively on real world applications of your topics.

      Good luck to you! Please let me know what else I can do to help! I'd love to hear more i how you are doing this at the higher level.

      Jennifer

      Delete
  3. I am your newest blog stalker. I've heard a bit about the Flip and you may have just hooked me. =)
    I nominated you for the Leibster Award. You can check out the details on tonights post. As a fellow newbie, I welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i suppose a link would help.

      charlotte

      Delete
    2. Charlotte,
      Thank you so much for the nomination. I am honored! I am also excited to hear that you are hooked on flipping! If you flip, I'd love to hear about it. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

      Jennifer

      Delete