Friday, June 21, 2013

How to Flip a Classroom - Part 1

Flipping a classroom takes time.  With all of the demands of teaching, it can not be done in one year.   However, the first year is extremely beneficial for not only the students but also the teacher.   I found that through this first year of implementation I learned a lot about how to reflect on my teaching practices, how to deliver targeted content, a ton about technology, and even more about the new Common Core.   I've decided to document this process for those that may be interested in this concept.

Before you begin, you need to really be honest with yourself.  Do you believe this is a valuable experience or do you want to just try something new?   Both are good reasons to flip, however you will have many people question its value and you need to really buy into the concept.   Just wanting to try something new can help motivate you in this process but it won't answer the hard questions of why.   Research the concept of flipping and wrap your head around its benefits AND it drawbacks.  Be prepared to answer questions on both.    One thing to realize in your research is that this innovative concept is done mostly at the middle and high school levels.  Very little is documented about the elementary level.  One important thing you need to keep in mind while you are researching is what will flipping look like at your level of instruction.

One thing I discovered in my research is that there is no one way to flip a classroom.  Flipping depends on the teacher, the students, the school, and the community.  When I decided to flip, I wanted to focus on one content area.   My teaching strength is math so that is where I felt most confident.   I wanted to use flipping to front load my students so that I could use class time to differentiate lessons and extend concepts during face to fact time.  

After you have enough background information, are armed with answers to possible questions/comments, and know how you want to implement your flip, it is time to get your school system and administration on board.

Stay tuned for Part 2...Getting Your School System and Administration on Board.

No comments :

Post a Comment